I live with my Mom and Dad and their weimaraner "Spencer". My Dad has multi infarct dementia

We all come from Vermont and we grew up during the 60's and 70's. One of our favorite things is cooking and so we try and stay sane by writing about cooking. I have an old cookbook from Rutland VT called "Out of Vermont Kitchens that we are going to try and cook from and see what the food tastes like.

The cookbook has some prepared foods in some of the recipes. But we will try and adapt them perhaps to modern cusine.

We also try other recipes but will dive into our Vermont roots as often as we can.

Marion Ballou Smith
The daughter of Orris and Margaret (Mageen) Ballou, Marion Ballou Smith grew up in Rutland, Vermont, graduated from Mount Holyoke College (1914), and taught botany and mathematics. In 1927 she married Esme A.C. Smith, a businessman in Rutland. Active in local business and civic affairs, Smith was the co-compiler, with Alice Chaffee Bowker and Ruth Sutton, of a fund-raising cookbook entitled Out of Vermont Kitchens, published in 1939, to benefit the Trinity Mission of Trinity Church in Rutland, and the Women's Service League of St. Paul's Church in Burlington, Vermont.

2.12.2010

I've burned a Million Calories and I'm STARVING!

I can't understand people who work out all the time and then eat only minuscule portions of a meal. I'm damned hungry when I've been holding a pose with my left leg in the air and my stomach pulled as taunt as a drum. It hurts!

Yesterday my sister showed up with her snowshoes and we set off, pounding the snow for a few miles. She jogged ahead of me as I tried to keep up using long strides that pulled the muscles in my butt to painful limits.

The blue sky and sun were truly beautiful above the fresh snowy countryside and I enjoyed the hike. When I got home, I collapsed into a chair surrounded by wet socks and a bad case of hat-head. My hunger almost immediately kicked in and I began to pull leftovers out of the fridge. Exercising just makes me hungry.

When I do eat a large lunch I try and make a salad for later that evening. I have come to love salads that contain no dressings. I like them with lime juice and honey and perhaps some sprinkling of salt and pepper.

Oils and cream dressings seem to weight the salad down and all I taste is the glossy coating of oil or heavy mayonnaise soaked witches's brew. When I worked in Boston, I'd open the refrigerator at work where the side compartment was lined with bottles of salad dressings from mostly women employees. The bottles had little taped messages stuck to them like "please don't use"...."this belongs to Shirley"...."get your own dressing!" I'd read the ingredients off the labels and they would contain words I'd never be able to spell or pronounce. If I dared to twist off the cap and sniff the contents, there was a strange, unnatural smell that had no discernible or recognizable origin. Maybe the stuff helped Shirley stay slim but I'm not sure what it would do to her gut.

In the winter, the salads are never as good as the summer months when I can get fresh greens from the garden but I try to make them interesting. I even throw corn chips heated in the toaster on the salad for an added crunch or my Mom bakes cornbread to go along with the meal.

Foodie critics sometimes say that salads are expensive and not affordable in these hard economic times. I don't agree that they are expensive. I don't eat massive amounts of it and I don't add exotic stuff flown in from South America two weeks ago. A few romaine leaves from a package that says its from California, a carrot, some onion and cabbage with some crumbles of domestic cheese or a few nuts makes a salad a perfect evening meal.

1 comment:

Matt Sutkoski said...

I'm the same way after exercising, especially nice snow shoe runs like you had. I'm famished afterwards.
People who try to stay skinny on those chemicals in the refrigerator you described don't do as well as exercisers.
A combination of plenty of nutritious food and exercise is definitely the way to go. And more fun, too. And nice big salads fill the bill perfectly