I live with my Mom and Dad and their weimaraner "Spencer". My Dad has multi infarct dementia

We all come from Vermont and we grew up during the 60's and 70's. One of our favorite things is cooking and so we try and stay sane by writing about cooking. I have an old cookbook from Rutland VT called "Out of Vermont Kitchens that we are going to try and cook from and see what the food tastes like.

The cookbook has some prepared foods in some of the recipes. But we will try and adapt them perhaps to modern cusine.

We also try other recipes but will dive into our Vermont roots as often as we can.

Marion Ballou Smith
The daughter of Orris and Margaret (Mageen) Ballou, Marion Ballou Smith grew up in Rutland, Vermont, graduated from Mount Holyoke College (1914), and taught botany and mathematics. In 1927 she married Esme A.C. Smith, a businessman in Rutland. Active in local business and civic affairs, Smith was the co-compiler, with Alice Chaffee Bowker and Ruth Sutton, of a fund-raising cookbook entitled Out of Vermont Kitchens, published in 1939, to benefit the Trinity Mission of Trinity Church in Rutland, and the Women's Service League of St. Paul's Church in Burlington, Vermont.

1.25.2010

Apple pie and coop re-construction

I browsed thru more of "Out of Vermont Kitchens" many desserts. The 1940's must have been a popular time for baking and making puddings and cakes. There are so many entries for various ice creams using lots of cream and eggs. My mother says that ice cream was a favorite in Montpelier where she and my Dad grew up. Sherbert also must have been a favorite of the day. Its funny not to see any ingrediants without the words "lowfat" or "fat-free" anywhere in any of the recipes. I'll have to try making ice cream. I was housesitting last fall for some freinds in Brooklyn and while there, they made me some homemade ice cream from a gadget they'd bought from L.L. Beans catalog and the stuff was great. A Ben & Jerry's dream that tasted like vanilla and butterscotch.

But we decided to be conventional for now and made a standard apple pie using some apples that needed to be cooked. My Mom pulled it from the oven and broke off the end piece but it tasted great despite the presentation flaw.

My Dad's moods seem to be very influenced by the weather and with the rain he becomes more agitated and requires more looking after and just plain watching. He loves to get into the firebox and move the burning wood around. He's still aware enough to understand what he is doing but there is no telling what he's thinking. Our days become more involved with just watching him.

The new chickens I bought a few days ago are doing well in their new home despite the new home being a low-rent version of the beautiful coop they came from. I tried to buy the coop but was too late but ended up with 10 laying hens. One of them, a big brahma was a pet of two little girls and she is like a big spoiled cat. She loves to be held and petted. Today I've got to figure out how to add some roosts for them to get on at night. The one I have is too small now. I've got to do some problem solving today.

No comments: