I live with my Mom and Dad and their weimaraner "Spencer". My Dad has multi infarct dementia

We all come from Vermont and we grew up during the 60's and 70's. One of our favorite things is cooking and so we try and stay sane by writing about cooking. I have an old cookbook from Rutland VT called "Out of Vermont Kitchens that we are going to try and cook from and see what the food tastes like.

The cookbook has some prepared foods in some of the recipes. But we will try and adapt them perhaps to modern cusine.

We also try other recipes but will dive into our Vermont roots as often as we can.

Marion Ballou Smith
The daughter of Orris and Margaret (Mageen) Ballou, Marion Ballou Smith grew up in Rutland, Vermont, graduated from Mount Holyoke College (1914), and taught botany and mathematics. In 1927 she married Esme A.C. Smith, a businessman in Rutland. Active in local business and civic affairs, Smith was the co-compiler, with Alice Chaffee Bowker and Ruth Sutton, of a fund-raising cookbook entitled Out of Vermont Kitchens, published in 1939, to benefit the Trinity Mission of Trinity Church in Rutland, and the Women's Service League of St. Paul's Church in Burlington, Vermont.

1.26.2010

New England Chutney

We had some frozen cranberries we got from Sam's and never used them over the holidays. I never was a fan of relishes and preferred mustard or ketchup and chopped onions on my hot dogs when I was a kid.

There used to be a hot dog stand in Battery Park in Burlington, Vermont. They were well known for their hot dogs and after working all night as a waitress in South Burlington, we girls would all go there and have one with a Coke and hang around on Church Street.

Now I'm a big chutney aficionado. I love the sweet and sour taste of chutneys that are commonly made with mangoes and peaches. We made one with the cranberries and some apples as the main ingredients and added nuts and raisins to the sauce. The spices are exotic and a far cry from the dilled pickle chunks of the relishes I remember as a kid. We used cinnamon sticks, cloves, shallots, ginger and allspice in this one.

The chutneys make the dishes even prettier with their color. I like them now on everything including mashed potatoes, rice, over noodles, with chicken and fish, and sometimes on my toast in the morning.

Spencer has been limping lately. I think its time to take him to the vet and get him up-to-date with them.

2 comments:

Matt Sutkoski said...

Mmmm. The chutney looks great.

The snack stand at Battery Park is Beansie's Bus. You're right. Really good. He parks it there every year at the end of March and stores it away for the winter beginning I think around Halloween

Lynne said...

Yup. I was just going to comment on that. how about a nice Michigan Dog??? Kim, maybe we should go there this Spring.