I live with my Mom and Dad and their weimaraner "Spencer". My Dad has multi infarct dementia

We all come from Vermont and we grew up during the 60's and 70's. One of our favorite things is cooking and so we try and stay sane by writing about cooking. I have an old cookbook from Rutland VT called "Out of Vermont Kitchens that we are going to try and cook from and see what the food tastes like.

The cookbook has some prepared foods in some of the recipes. But we will try and adapt them perhaps to modern cusine.

We also try other recipes but will dive into our Vermont roots as often as we can.

Marion Ballou Smith
The daughter of Orris and Margaret (Mageen) Ballou, Marion Ballou Smith grew up in Rutland, Vermont, graduated from Mount Holyoke College (1914), and taught botany and mathematics. In 1927 she married Esme A.C. Smith, a businessman in Rutland. Active in local business and civic affairs, Smith was the co-compiler, with Alice Chaffee Bowker and Ruth Sutton, of a fund-raising cookbook entitled Out of Vermont Kitchens, published in 1939, to benefit the Trinity Mission of Trinity Church in Rutland, and the Women's Service League of St. Paul's Church in Burlington, Vermont.

1.22.2010

Gelatin Salad Updated

I've been reading the different gelatin salads and frozen salads in the old cookbook. I remember these from my childhood. The sweet, glossy molded creations were engulfed in mayonnaise or real heavy whipped cream and contained frightening stuff like marachino cherries and food coloring. I remember viewing them from the table on holidays and someone saying as they scooped out a wobbly block of the mess and hovered it over my plate, "would you like to try some of Auntie Marge's wonderful lime mold??"

I guess we didn't eat as good as I thought we did. Michael Pollan, eat your words!

But I'm determined to have a go. I've found a few of them online and in my Mom's recipe collection that aren't quite so bad. One in particular is a mold made from tomato juice called a tomato aspic. Its just a bloody mary in a mold complete with worcetershire sauce and celery. This could be interesting.

Today my little sister is bravely coming up to watch Dad while Mom and I do some shopping and get away from his questions, orders and irrational statements for at least a few hours. We are having the VA help with home care soon and this will give us a much needed liberation. Other than that, we have a few glasses of chardonnay while making dinner.

No comments: