I live with my Mom and Dad and their weimaraner "Spencer". My Dad has multi infarct dementia

We all come from Vermont and we grew up during the 60's and 70's. One of our favorite things is cooking and so we try and stay sane by writing about cooking. I have an old cookbook from Rutland VT called "Out of Vermont Kitchens that we are going to try and cook from and see what the food tastes like.

The cookbook has some prepared foods in some of the recipes. But we will try and adapt them perhaps to modern cusine.

We also try other recipes but will dive into our Vermont roots as often as we can.

Marion Ballou Smith
The daughter of Orris and Margaret (Mageen) Ballou, Marion Ballou Smith grew up in Rutland, Vermont, graduated from Mount Holyoke College (1914), and taught botany and mathematics. In 1927 she married Esme A.C. Smith, a businessman in Rutland. Active in local business and civic affairs, Smith was the co-compiler, with Alice Chaffee Bowker and Ruth Sutton, of a fund-raising cookbook entitled Out of Vermont Kitchens, published in 1939, to benefit the Trinity Mission of Trinity Church in Rutland, and the Women's Service League of St. Paul's Church in Burlington, Vermont.

1.29.2010

I Finally Made The Gelatin Salad!

I finally made a gelatin salad. I passed on all the gluey mayonnaise or whipped cream filled salads I remember when I was a kid. We had a neighbor lady who loved to make them for us. I would try to look excited when someone offered me a big glob of the stuff on a serving spoon. She often made green gelatin salads with green food coloring and pistachio flavored jello and then add some nuts and miniature marshmallows. How did I ever eat that stuff?

My gelatin salad is Virgin Mary cocktail. The swirls in the photo are from the Saran wrap I used to cover it while it set. I just put two packages of regular gelatin in with a bottle of V8 juice and added some chopped olives, onions and green peppers then added Worcester sauce, lime juice, a bit of salt and some cocktail sauce leftover from our Christmas party. I didn't have celary and that would have been good. The whole concoction is very good and tastes great along with a tossed salad and another squirt of lime juice. The taste adds new meaning to the phrase "I coulda had a V8!".

Spencer and I went for a short walk today because its just too cold to enjoy a good long hike. The chickens are still laying about 8 eggs out of 11 hens. Not bad for rookies. My Dad is still trying to assert authority with the wood stove. I've learned to just relax and let him put more wood on the fire with my assistance. He get angry so easily and its not worth it to argue with him. He can't really understand anymore why we get angry at him. He only reacts to my anger by using his voice which is much louder than my own. Better to declare a truce and just let him play in the woodbox for awhile and then shut it up when he's out of the room.

No comments: